XinFin’s XDC Network update named “Andromeda” on its XDPoS consensus protocol going live on 1st December 2021 at block number 38383838.
XinFin’s XDC Network update on its XDPoS consensus protocol going live on 1st December 2021 at block number 38383838 (will update all time zones here). The upgrade is currently live on Testnet, XinFin’s protocol team has done hard tests like node, smart contract, & advanced non-functional tests — over the Apothem network. With this upgrade, some important functionalities will be added to XinFin’s Mainnet.
What innovative features will the upgrade activate?
Solidity Upgrade to v0.8.x: XinFin’s XDPoS is upgrading its EVM (Ethereum Virtual Machine) to support the latest version of solidity. Upon upgrade, XinFin’s developers will bypass extensive customization when deploying code from different EVM chains.
This feature will support XinFin’s ecosystem partners and enhance internal product development.
- Transaction Fee Address: Going forward, transaction fees will transfer to the owner’s address instead of the coinbase/ miner’s address.
- Fixed and Added Eth_chainId: With the Eth_chainId, the system will be more secure. That’s due to improvements in the replaying of protection transactions. This will provide military-grade security, supported by forensic monitoring to identify misbehaving nodes.
- Reward halving issue: The upgrade fixes the issue of fewer rewards to master node owners. With the improved rewards, nodes will be incentivized to join and maintain the XDC Network.
- Multiple Miner address Fixed: The upgrade handles issues relating to multiple miner addresses that could cause a block creation delay on the Mainnet.
There are 03 way’s and steps to upgrade your node are as follows;
~Upgrade using Docker Node
- Run the command “git pull”
- To down the current docker node run “docker-compose -f docker-services.yml down”
- Then run “bash upgrade.sh”
~Upgrade using One-Click Installer
- Click on “check for updates”
~Upgrade using Source Code
- Fetch the latest code from the below URL: https://github.com/XinFinOrg/XDPoSChain/releases/v1.4.3
** Please note that every node holder has to backup current chain data, including Keystore files, before upgrading the node.
Here are a few responses to questions you may have regarding the upgrade.
Q. — As an XDC holder, is there anything one needs to do?
A. — For XDC holders using wallet services (like Guarda), and an exchange, you won’t be doing anything since the systems can be used as before. However, if your wallet or exchange service requires you to make some changes, you’ll be notified.
Q. — As a node operator, what do I need to do?
A. — Masternodes and full node operators must update their node software to the latest version using any of the preferred steps as soon as possible.
Q. — What happens if a Full Node or Masternode fails to upgrade?
A. — For continued Masternode participation on the XDC network, Masternode holders must upgrade. Therefore, we request you to upgrade to the latest version using any of the preferred steps mentioned.
Q. — How will the upgrade affect existing stakes, ledger states, and XDCs?
A. — All the existing XDCs, stakes, ledger states, and transactions will remain intact. And, they can be used exactly as before.
Q. — Will the upgrade be backward-compatible in terms of API and data?
A. — The upgrade will be fully backward-compatible — -that’s in terms of APIs and data. After the upgrade, the XDC network will continue extending the current public ledger from the XDPoS1.0 version. As well, APIs to browsers, exchanges, wallets, etc. will be fully backward compatible. Thus, Xinfin customers can rest assured that the upgrade will be transparent.
Q. — What will the update provide Ethereum’s EVM-compatible projects?
A. — This Major update will provide Ethereum’s EVM-compatible projects to move to XinFin Network with several benefits. These include near-zero gas fees, 99% less energy consumption for the block network as compared to PoW Network. And, 2-second block finality system, which is by far better than a few minutes in other PoW based networks.
Q. — Why is this Update named Andromeda?
A. — The Andromeda update is named after the galaxy, as per the suggestions from the community members.
If you have any questions or need clarifications, kindly join our community support. As well, node runners and developers are welcome to join our Github channel, Slack channel, and Telegram channel. Other channels you can follow include XinFin’s Twitter, Facebook, Medium, and Reddit channels.
XinFin Delegated Proof of Stake (XDPoS): Major Upgrades at Block number 38383838. was originally published in XinFin on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.